Thursday, August 28, 2008

How much is therapy going to cost me?

I can't call anyone to vent and help me through this because our crappy phone I need to replace won't work but that is another story so i am going to talk about it on my blog.

Remember that cute brown puppy we got back in March... it has grown in to a big dog my kids won't play with, won't clean up after and it is a fight to get them to feed her. The poor dog is alone outside all by herself 24/7. She is now big and is so excited when anyone goes outside that she jumps on the girls and ends up hurting them so they go outside even less. Meanwhile we have a brand new swing set no one plays on because it is out by the dog and the dog is trying to entertain herself by digging up half the yard, chewing everything and anything up to shreds including the insulation to our AC unit, bike seats and bags, etc. In the last week she had decided she doesn't want to stay in our yard alone and is making escapes where ever she can by hoping over out 5' gate, climbing on the shed and sliding into the neighbors yard to be with their dogs. I have been on dog duty to make sure she isn't escaping which means getting up at 2:00 or 4:00 in the morning when I hear her on the shed to stop her before she jumps.

I gave the girls a warning that if I didn't see an improvement in them interacting with the dog I was going to find her a new home where people wanted to be with her. The girls have not changed their interaction so we found out the person who adopted one of her brothers would like her too. I have made arrangements for her to go tomorrow. The girls heard about it and began crying at bedtime how much they love her and such. I feel evil because I don't feel bad she is leaving. I feel bad we put the dog through such a crappy beginning of her life and really hope she will be happy learning to be a bird dog. I think she will like it a lot better than laying on our patio getting depressed. My girls don't see it that way. I have explained it takes more than love to have a dog and she deserves to have people who will interact with her.

Pray for me all goes well tomorrow and my kids are able to deal with it and will eventually understand. If I ever mentioning getting a dog again come hit me along side the head with a 2x4.

5 comments:

Hot Pants said...

My daughter has been begging me for a dog pretty much her entire life. Everytime I consider it, an image similar to your real life pops into my mind. We bought her some chickens trying to show her how she wouldn't really take care of them for very long. (If she neglected them, we could just eat them, then she really wouldn't want another pet:)) She is out there playing with those chickens daily. Who woulda thunk? It doesn't convince me to get her a dog, but I still feel bad. Fortunately, kids get over things quickly.......usually.....somtimes.....good luck.

Even Better Than the Real Thing said...

I didn't think the first time you tried a dog worked any better. Just remember, 3 strikes and your out!!!! Just call me if you are thinking of getting another dog and I will remind you of the other two strikes.

Amy said...

The first time we had the dog 6 weeks but the girls were only 2 1/2 and 6 months old. Second time we had the dog 6 months and the girls were 9 and 7 so i thought they could handle it better. we won't be doing a dog again because I realize I am not a dog person but it probably would have worked better if John wasn't working over 60 hours a week and I had more help. i am glad she has a new home and will be with her brother.

kimM said...

Birdie is good with the girls and it is not unusual for the dog to wear princess dresses, crowns, and necklaces. But--I am REALLY glad we got the dog before we had kids because we put a lot of time and effort into training her as a puppy. I know I wouldn't be able to focus on training a dog now when my energy goes into "training" my kids.

Misty said...

Oh, Amy, what a rough spot to be in! I think you're doing the right thing, though, and in a couple of weeks (maybe less) the girls will probably have forgotten all about her.

Stories like yours help me remember never to get a dog unless I personally want to take care of it - so that will never happen!